Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Gratitude

This is a post about gratitude. What an amazing week I've had. As I sit here typing this, I'm staring out at the first snow of the season. In about half an hour, I'll have to walk my little people up to school for the afternoon - something that usually would be quite unpleasant in the mini blizzard that we have going on at the moment. I dont mind walking when big soft fluffy snow is coming dow.. but the wind blowing wet ice in your face type of sojourn - not so pleasant.

But today, we get to drive to school - toasty warm and get home dry because last week, my mother-in-law gave us a second car. It is a 20 year old beater.. but I dont mind in the least. This of course, is helped by the fact that my darling man is driving it to work and I get to keep our comfortable four wheel drive for my driving pleasure. And for an Australian living in Saskatchewan for the winter, four wheel drive is a must.

When the little beast (the car that is and not my man) comes home tonight, I'll get a photo to pop in here.

In the mean time, here are some amazing shots of the sunflowers that are outside. My next door neighbour planted them just outside our kitchen window so I got to look at them all summer. So very grateful - not that I had an issue with the view of her side wall - but sunflowers - so much better.

She had asked me if I wanted her to pull them out just yesterday as they were hanging over our fence but I was really looking forward to seeing them when the snow started to fly.

And fly it has!
What started as a light dusing of snow...

has become a good couple of inches. And it is still coming down.

I love the little curl on the green part of the plant = it is so subtle and usually lost in a busy background. But the white of the snow brings it out into a very stunning part of the flower.
I usually expect the first snow to be a light dusting that is hardly visible the next morning. But today, the wind is blowing and it is a slushy, icy mess.


Quite beautiful - but still, mucky. Of course, the kids love it. I saw all of the kids at school playing in all of this whiteness when I was up dropping off Autumn. They were having a lot of fun. I'm so glad - this year, I might be able to finally kick them all outside to play - and they might stay there for more than five minutes!!


As for the rest of the dialogue on gratitude, the rest of my week has just got better and better. After the car came an amazing little sewing machine from my friend Lauren. The projects that are brewing in my little mind are all bubbling to the top... now, to clone myself so I can get it all out of my head and make it a reality. Of course, being so inspired my Monika's work doesnt help either. Wait till I realise that sewing in a straight line is a little out of my league.. then I may have to rethink those plans!!




See, swirly lines everywhere you look!


I also got some beautiful cornflowers from my wonderful friend Victoria during the week. She knew that I was going to try and add the sunflower petals to the paper I plan to make - these will be amazing. The blue of the dried petals is amazing.



And last, but not least... the biggest news of all. This week I have been offered a free trip back home to Australia. OMG IS RIGHT!!

There is someone making a documentary about my sister and they had been planning on interviewing me for some of the content. The full amount of funding they had hoped for didnt come through - but some of it did. And instead of the whole film crew flying over here - they are going to fly me back home to Australia. FREE. I get to see my family and friends - I am so overjoyed I cant describe it. I am also in such amazement...

In April I made myself a dreamboard and on it I had a wish for a trip to Australia, among other things. Some of those other things being a second car and a jar of home made granola. Well, the car has arrived and I started making my own granola about two months ago... and now a trip back home. I can not wait to look back at this dream board next year when it is time to make a new one to see what has come true.





As for my small gratitudes, I love my man - Thankyou JP for getting rid of the mice. (One of the biggest reasons this blog entry is so delayed - I've been cleaning the house and getting rid of all traces of evil varmints for the last few days!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment